Saturday, March 24, 2012

Encouraging a Friend

**THIS BLOG IS NOT MEANT TO BE A POLITICAL FORUM. IT IS A BLOG ABOUT ENJOYING PARENTHOOD. AS SUCH, PLEASE READ AND CONSIDER THIS REQUEST FROM THAT POINT OF VIEW, NOT AS A POLITICAL AGENDA.**

I want you to meet April. She has been a friend of mine since Kindergarten; one of my best friends in high school. She held the first party where I kissed a boy. We've shared secrets too numerous to count. We have laughed late into the night and eaten gallons of icecream. We've shared the bond of each having a diabetic sibling. We have incriminating videotapes of us lip syncing to mid-90s hits. She taught me about clothes and makeup and hair. As an adult she has continued to teach me.

You see, as a child, April was the only person I knew who talked about "pro-life"...in my world I hadn't heard the term. I didn't know what it meant. April made sure I did. She made sure a lot of people did. She never backed down. Never waivered. I think at the time there may have been a lot of people thought she was an idealist 'child' who really didn't know what she was talking about. How wrong they were. And how badly I wished she hadn't had to live what she believed.

April and her husband found out early in their pregnancy with Austin that he had anencephaly. The Doctors encouraged April and Aaron to terminate their pregnancy. They held strongly to their beliefs and carried Austin to term. Here is a beautiful tribute to Austin.

April and Aaron have not ended their teaching by living out their beliefs...they continue to encourage others through difficult pregnancies, share information and educate individuals who don't think they can chose pro-life. In short, they encourage others to respect life.

April is up for an award through the Catholic Diocese. Would you please take a moment and encourage April by voting for her? The Award comes with a monetary gift that would be used in my hometown community by April and her family. It is a simple click to "like" Catholic Extension (feel free to unlike after you've voted) and then a click on "vote" on the left side, then a click on "April Swenby" and a scroll down to the big "vote" button to vote. You can only vote once, but we'd appreciate you "sharing" to your Facebook, if you feel inclined.

Thank you so, so much for encouraging April and Aaron as they work to enjoy parenthood in the way that best suits them.


Stacy


No comments: