Monday, June 13, 2011

Scripture Verse Week 3


Happy Monday, everyone! I hope you’re all doing well.Thumbs up to those who have been able to get some verses memorized…keep it up! If you haven’t been taking part, it’s NEVER too late to start…you can dive right in by learning this week’s verse:


And Moses said to the people, “Do not be afraid. Stand still, and see the salvation of the LORD, which He will accomplish for you today. For the Egyptians whom you see today, you shall see again no more forever. Exodus 14:13

The bolded portion is what kids can learn that part and we adults will learn it all.

To help solidify the concept consider with your kids…

What might we be afraid of? Why are we afraid?

Read Exodus 14:1-14

Paint a mental picture with your kids…imagine the water on one side, 600 chariots on the other…What did it smell like? What do they hear? What were people around them saying?


Why were the Israelites afraid? What do you think would happen to them if the Egyptians caught them? What would you have said to Moses if you were in that situation and he told you not to be afraid?

Read Exodus 14:15-31

How did God save them? Did God do what Moses said He would? Did they need to be afraid?

Create your own re-enactment of the parting of the Red Sea by using the printables found here; add a few toilet paper rolls and you’re set for fun!

As adults let’s consider this…
Check out Exodus 14:11-12
Did you catch that?! Moses worked his tail off to get Pharaoh to free the Israelite Slaves and they are complaining about being free…are you KIDDING me?! What a bunch of WHINERS! Of course as I point a finger I have four pointing back at myself…how many times has the Lord answered my prayers and then, because I couldn’t see what was coming next, I started to whine? Something like, “God, where are you going with this?” or “Could you PLEASE tell me what to do next?” Isn’t that essentially what the Israelites were doing? They couldn’t see what God’s plan was…sure, they knew He had delivered them from one bad situation…but instead of rejoicing in that they focused on what they didn’t have, what they didn’t know, the bad situation that they saw coming toward them…never mind that God was WITH them, that He had promised to take care of them, that He had shown Himself faithful time and again!


This week I plan to take some time to consider the following;
• What am I afraid of?
• How might I “stand still” and WAIT for God to do something amazing…maybe just WAITING on the Lord is what is needed in the areas I have fear and doubt…so often I want to see ACTION.
• What are the “Egyptians” God might be promising I need not see anymore?

Won’t you join me?

No comments: