When I found out about the apartment I started to gather dirt-cheap window coverings at garage sales. I got some teal valances for $.50
They are nice..but not nearly enough to cover these HUGE windows...so I got a bedsheet for $.25. And pulled out the Sharpie markers
...and the rubbing alcohol. Sounds dangerous, right?!
DANGEROUSLY FUN!!! (tee hee!)
The girls and I went after the bedsheet and colored ALL OVER it!
When it was all colored, we hung it up in the shower to minimize mess, then took a no-longer-used nose aspirator (yup, it HAS a name), filled it with rubbing alcohol, and squirted the alcohol all over the sheet.
Once it was dry (and the shower was cleaned out...very easy...no biggie; promise) I set the girls up with the serger and had them attach it to the valance to make the curtain.
|Yes, we did it first thing in the morning so Jammies and bed-head were the dress code. :)|
I have to be honest that it isn't the most gorgeous thing I've ever seen, but the girls LOVE having their drawings on their curtain and the "church window" effect it has on the room....it definitely doesn't block much light, but it works well for privacy, which is what we really needed it for since their window looks out on a busy street.