Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Motherhood: A Lesson in Humility


Okay, okay, we WANT to be humble, right? I mean, there are loads and loads of verses in the Bible that assure us that those who humble themselves will be exalted by the Lord...this week, though, I haven't needed to do any of the humbling; my kids seem to be taking care of it FOR me!

I'm not kidding...from sneaking in on girls who were using the restroom to slapping a sibling, to drawing on furniture to talking back to adults my kids have covered it ALL. I know I shouldn't let it "get" to me...I know I should take it in stride and simply discipline and redirect them...and I did...but at the same time my pride is taking a beating. I have been embarrassed by their bad behavior, saddened that they aren't demonstrating the lessons I've tried to teach, and, to be frank, I am frustrated that apparently my lessons have fallen on deaf ears! I'll bet most of you are nodding your heads and maybe even giggling in commiseration with me...some days are just LIKE that, aren't they?

Last Thursday when my nerves were shot and I knew I needed to take a break I sent everyone to rest time and took a cup of tea onto the deck. I closed my eyes and prayed...HARD. And the thought came to me, "humble yourself"...which then made me think of "Humble Thyself" from my days at Bible camp...and I was restored...to humble myself to parenting...to perhaps being cut down a peg or two from thinking my kids were so "perfect"...to knowing that they are going to sin, they are sinners just like their Mommy, right? To knowing that my kids are not ME....God knows that I'm trying to teach them, to discipline them, to show them His way...and that's what He has asked of me. Most of all I was reminded to continually ask God to help me parent...He is the ultimate parent...why in the world would I not ask Him EVERYDAY to help me parent these little ones He has entrusted to me? So yes, that afternoon I humbled myself...and He lifted me up...He raised my head to face the rest of the day and the days to come. I am humbled that He would.

So, that is how we find ourselves at our Memory Verse for this week:

Ephesians 4:2
Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love.

Here's praying YOUR humbleness comes with fewer gray hairs than mine!

No comments: